Thursday, August 13, 2009

Anniversary take two

Actually our trip to Southern Utah happened the week before our anniversary, but it has taken me a while to get the pictures on the computer, so I am posting it now.
Zach surprised me by planning a trip to Cedar City to relive our honeymoon. He got reservations at the same Bed and Breakfast we stayed at called The Iron Gate. If you ever want to go to the Shakespearean Festival I highly recommend them, it is within walking distance of the theatre, the rooms are beautiful, they have wonderful breakfasts, and the owners are really nice.
We went and saw Henry V, it was the first historical Shakespearean play I have seen, and I really liked it, but then I love Shakespeare!
We then went to Zions. On our honeymoon we actually went to Bryce Canyon, which is BEAUTIFUL, but I had never been to Zions so we decided to go there instead. We had so much fun hiking all day! We actually went to the top of Angels Landing, the pointy peak in the background of this picture.


It took quite a while, and was pretty steep,we had to go back through a canyon to go up the back side of the peak and there were some beautiful formations there, and some fun holes in the wall



it wasn't until the last 1/2 mile that it got really interesting. They had bolted a chain into the rock, and you had to use the chain to get up the rest of the way, which means it was really steep, and very high.


Zach didn't have a problem with it, but I am scared of heights, so it was a little intense for me, especially when we were on a narrow strip of rock about the width of a sidewalk, and on one side is a sheer 800 ft drop, and the other side is a sheer 1200 ft drop (we were told this by a tour guide AFTER I had already gone, lucky for Zach because if I knew in advance I might not have been able to rally the courage to go). We did make it to the top, and I am glad I persevered because it was beautiful!




We had so much fun, and it was so nice to be able to get away for a while and reconnect! Even the drive down and back was a lot of fun! Hopefully it won't take us seven years to do it again!

2 comments:

Swain Family said...

Congrats! That looks like a lot of fun! I miss pretty Utah! :)

Julia said...

I can't believe you made it to Angel's Landing! Way to go!! :D