Friday, December 11, 2009

E's latest fascination

When we were at the library a week ago I came across a book on Volcano's, and decided to look at it with E. He loved it and thought it was pretty cool. Today he asked me if we could see a volcano, so I went to the Internet, and found this site http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/volcano-lava/26ejztye (there is some really cool footage!). He was completely fascinated and spent about 15 min watching, and re watching all of the video footage they have here on volcano's. He then spent about ten min. asking me very intelligent questions about it, like, how does the crack get in the earth, and where does the lava come from, and what happens if we touch it, and why is the lava red and black, etc. So I gave him a quick (though slightly more detailed than I will put here) explanation about how the center of the earth is a ball of magma, and that we live in top of the crust and how the "cracks" are sometimes made by earthquakes, and sometimes they are volcano's. He was completely enthralled and asked me to "tell that story again" at least five times. Then we spent the rest of the morning playing volcano. He would erupt and land on me, I was instructed to melt and turn into a rock, and then when I crumbled and became dirt I was told to grow into a tree,or he would have me be a city and he would erupt and then he would dig me up (I mentioned a little about the city of Pompeii and how people dug up the city that was buried by the ash from the volcano, and he was almost as interested in that as in the volcano) then the roles were reversed. So to add to his ever increasing list of what he will be when he grows up we have added vulcanologist, and archaeologist.

2 comments:

afacer said...

That is so cute! You should do the baking soda and vinegar experiment for him to show him.... he'd probably LOVE IT!

Tiffany West said...

Funny you should say that:), I did it for him and you should have seen the look on his face, almost like Christmas, and now everyday he asks if we can do it again! That experiment is always a hit with kids :)