Friday, February 6, 2009

Clean Bugs






The other day Ethan came running to me saying, "Mommy, Mommy co-dome (come on) the bee bug is washing his hands!" He then took me to the front window, and sure enough there was a fly that looked like he was washing his hands. Ethan has seen flys before, but has never been that interested, that day however the fly was the most fascinating thing in the world. We spent 45 min watching the fly. Ethan figured out within the first few min. that if you pound on the window sill when the fly is climbing the glass, the fly will fall. Ethan thought this was hilarious and played with the fly this way for most of the time.


Ethan has been stung by two bees, so he was very cautious, but by the end of a half an hour he was feeling brave and touched the fly, it climbed on his finger and Ethan was thrilled and exclaimed, "he tickles me!" I was torn because I remember doing the exact same thing when I was little, and how fascinating it was to watch flys. I didn't want to ruin it for him, but the mother in me was thinking, that little fly is so dirty! So my compromise was that as soon as we were done watching the fly, we would make sure to wash our hands.


I am sorry to report that the event ended in tragedy. I went to the kitchen to get a drink and Ethan came to me and very proudly said, "I did it! I squished him!", (I think he was remembering the "I'm bringing home a baby bumblebee" song). I quickly disposed of the bug, and when Ethan went to look for it again he told me the bee bug was gone to Heavenly Father.


I am so grateful for Ethan and how he reminds me to take the time to look and wonder about things again, and for his simple faith and understanding!

5 comments:

Emily said...

I had to laugh! I love it how he is so interested in the bug and then ends up squishing him!! What a cute kid!!

Camille said...

What a big boy!!! Those curious minds are always ready for adventure.

Emily said...

LOL, that is so funny! How cute!

The Melo Family said...

awe he is such a cute kid! I love him!

mary said...

That's so cute! He's growing up so much! I love watching little ones explore and be curious - it reminds us to slow down every once in awhile (a lesson I'm always trying to learn).