This happened a little while ago, but as your are getting this account from Dad, you can't complain too much.
Shortly after Noah was born, Ethan and I went to my niece Lily's baptism. They will always remember that we were there. At first, Ethan was wiggly, but not more so than usual. He even sang along (with some licence with the words... and melody) to the opening song. Then the woman got up to offer the prayer, at the same time Ethan looked to the opposite side of the room (in her direction) and shouted, "Scary!" He wasn't actually pointing at her, but at a charcoal-drawn picture of a mother comforting her child. The little girl looked hurt.... or scared. I tried to quiet Ethan, but was very adeptly evaded as he more accurately described the picture: "Scary baby!"
I looked over at my nephews. The magnitude of their reactions ranged with their ages. From barely stifled giggles to clinging to their chairs to keep from rolling on the floor it was obvious that they had enjoyed the unexpected diversion. Ethan and I left the room for awhile.
We did make it back in time for Ethan to watch his cousin's baptism. He had calmed down by then and while we were waiting for Lily and her father to change, he and I were able to have a very good whispered conversation about the promises his cousin had just made to Jesus. It was very good that we were there.
Well, in order to give us opportunity to finish our evening in the same way we started it, not only were they confirming Lily, but blessing her baby sister. During the confirmation Ethan sat with my mom, and was quite good. Between the blessings, Ethan crawled up and sat with me. When they invited me up to join the blessing circle, Ethan was sitting so nicely I thought: "what is the worst that could happen?" Yes I, a father two and a half years now, actually thought that. Anyway, half-way through the blessing, where did Ethan end up? In the middle of the circle underneath our hands holding up Claire. Now it was time for grown men to stifle laughter.
11 years ago
4 comments:
So classic - I LOVE it! Definitely one to remember for his dating years!
How funny - what a cute little guy! You never seem to bored with little ones around! :)
What a funny story! I'm glad you wrote it down! Ethan is too cute!
That is hilarious!!! What a character. That is such a classic moment.
Post a Comment