Saturday, July 24, 2010

Impressions of the Spectacular

As leaders we were asked to write our impressions of the Youth Spectacular that we just preformed last week. I thought, since this is our family journal, I should include it here as well.



When my husband and I were first asked to help with the choreography I thought it would be a lot of fun, however I had no idea of the magnitude of the project, or the impact it would have on my life.

I can’t say that there was one major testimony building experience for me, or one event that was overwhelmingly powerful, but all the aspects of the Spectacular added up to be both of these, as well as an answer to prayers. I discovered and was able to develop talents I never knew I had. Through the music that I brought home my children are blessed. My four year old sings “I Never Stand Alone” all the time, and his 20 month old brother sings what he knows right along with him. The words to these songs have brought about and reinforced discussion of gospel principals and truths in our home that I feel are so important for us all to know and understand as we battle here on the earth today, things that I strive to instill in my children so that they can stand strong in knowing whose side they are on, and to rely on their Savior

I had a lot of fun learning the choreography, getting to know people, and making friends. I loved the energy of the youth as they learned the songs and the choreography! They all had such positive attitudes, and really caught the spirit of what we were doing, and trying to express. I was so impressed by their patience and adaptability as the choreography and spacing changed. There was no complaining, just a simple, yet remarkable acceptance to do what was asked of them. I already had a love for the youth, and now have an even deeper love for them, and desire to help and serve them in any way I can. This opportunity to work in such a unique way with them has enabled me to feel their excitement for the gospel and their love for their Savior. I marvel at the power that they have to stand against the adversary.

The performance of it’s own accord was a rare opportunity to feel the spirit. I was privileged to be in the North Council, and our part of the program was pre-earth life. From the moment we started the practices on the field with all the youth the spirit was strong, there is something so powerful about the knowledge that we are sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father, and that he loves us. Being able to depict that with all those wonderful youth truly opened a way to feel the spirit in a way that I have never experienced before. Even though I had learned the songs and taught the choreography, when they youth went through the veil in white and came out in their colored shirts to go to earth with such excitement the spirit strongly bore witness to me that it was true. That we fought and won there, and we came to earth sure in the knowledge that through our Savior, Jesus Christ we can win here, and return to him again! I was struck by the power of this message, and left with a greater desire to endure to the end, whatever that may mean in my life, and to take whoever I can with me to the end!

This Spectacular has enabled leaders and youth of many ages to come together to learn values, to bear testimony, to feel the spirit, and witness miracles. I know that in our stake there were a few youth for whom this was their only involvement in church activities this summer, and I saw their hearts softened, and their eyes opened to the power of the Spirit of God. I feel humbled and blessed to have had the opportunity to participate and to serve in this event, I feel certain that it has impacted all who were involved for a lifetime!

3 comments:

Swain Family said...

Wow! I wish I could have seen it! :) What an amazing person and leader you are! And with such an amazing testimony! Thank you for sharing it!

The Medsker Family said...

Tiffany - You and Zach are such examples to me. Our stake was so blessed to have you guys do the chorography. You both have such a gift to work with the youth. Our youth performed so well because they felt confident because of your teaching and leadership. I loved so much being able to work with you two as Arise progressed and grew. Arise – was such a privilege to be a part of.

Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

Elisa and Tyler said...

I wish I could have seen it, but several people haave told me it was AMAZING!! Good job Tiff! You are so talented and suhc an example to me!! Love ya!