Friday, December 9, 2011

What would you do differently?

Today on facebook one of my friends asked, "What would you do differently if nobody judged you?" At first I just smiled and thought of a few silly things, but as the day went on the question stayed with me. It repeated in my mind over and over and demanded that I really think about it, and who am I to argue with a persistent thought? I know that the best answer would be that I would do nothing differently, that what others think shouldn't and doesn't matter to me, that only what the Lord thinks affects my actions and thoughts. Sadly, to be honest with myself I could not give this answer in all aspects of my life (to my credit however there are a few places that I can answer that way). It did however give me an opportunity to discover a little about myself, and to see where I was holding back. It gave me some insight into my character that I had never really thought to look for before, and an opportunity to set goals in a different, and in some cases a slightly more productive light. The reason I am sharing this is because I want to remember to ask myself this question periodically, and also because I really feel that, if taken seriously, this question can change who you are for the better. It has already started me on the road to being the person I want to be instead of the person I think people think I should be.