Friday, February 26, 2010

Poor Baby!

After ten days of amoxicillin Noah broke out in a rash, and his right foot swelled up to twice its size, so we ran to the Doctor, who said it was most likely an allergic reaction to the amoxicillin. He gave us Prednisolone and told us to give him Benadryl. The next morning he woke up and looked much better, and his foot swelling had gone down substantially, though there was some bruising from the swelling. However at about 4:00 pm when I was changing his diaper I saw that BOTH his knees were swollen to twice their normal size, so away we went, back to the doctor. This time they were concerned for a moment that it was an auto-immune-deficiency disease since it was acting systemic, but after testing him, and finding that there was no pain in his knees, and that his glands were swollen, they concluded that his allergic reaction was just getting worse (just?!?) While we were at the doctor we also discovered that his poor elbows were getting swollen too. They told us that the red dye in the Benadryl could be making the situation worse , so they had us switch to Zyertec . This morning he woke up and the swelling in his knees and elbows had lessened, but he had hives EVERYWHERE, and they keep spreading and getting bigger! Never having had an allergic reaction myself, I can only guess at how he feels, but I itch just looking at him! Zach said that we had to take pictures because if it were him he would want the pictures when he was older, so I figured as long as I was taking pictures I should post them since this is our family journal of sorts, so here they are, in all their glory.






These were taken this morning, and he looks worse tonight. Believe it or not, he has actually been in a relatively good mood, go figure!

No comments: